Sunday, February 22, 2009

Michigan's AmeriCorps Member Council - Posting #11

Hello everyone, and welcome back to the Michigan’s AmeriCorps Blog. I’m Rachel Cush, a second year member, and I represent Camp Fire USA’s AmeriCorps team. Camp Fire USA is a national non-profit that seeks to build caring, confident youth and future leaders. Focused on providing a safe and healthy environment for kids, AmeriCorps members teach classes that focus on safety training, self confidence, responsibility, conflict resolution, as well as the importance of service-learning. Camp Fire USA offers programming in eleven different public school sites located all over Grand Rapids. Our 19 members serve with over 2,500 inner city, at-risk children, building positive, healthy mentoring relationships.

This year I serve within the Camp Fire office as the Volunteer Coordinator. Some of my responsibilities include volunteer orientation and processing paperwork. I also serve at some of our after-school sites as an Activity Leader, helping children grow their academic and social skills.

Recently I got the chance to partner with a Member Council representative from the Greater Grand Rapids Red Cross and one of his teammates to actively recruit and perform outreach and educational programming about AmeriCorps at the Winter Special Olympics in Traverse City. It was a great experience where we were able to reach out to not just the several hundred athletes competing but the hundred Central Michigan University students we volunteered along side with. One of the most gratifying aspects was being able to create relationships with the Special Olympic athletes and cheer them on and let them know someone thought they could do anything they put their minds to, and that they could have a chance to "get things done for America" as well.

I think that really embodies one of the key parts of AmeriCorps - the chance to form bonds with many different people. AmeriCorps is all about making a difference in the lives of others, but what I’ve come to realize is that one of the greatest gifts of serving in this organization is that our actions are reciprocated. I started my first term of service trying to change the lives of others, but found the people I’ve met along my journey have made a huge impact on me. For example, I believe because of the many opportunities I've been given to meet families from all over the city of Grand Rapids, my service has been made all the better for it. The knowledge and insight I get from each person I meet causes me to grow and learn alongside the people I'm serving with and for. I continue to be amazed and inspired by the kids, co-workers, volunteers and AmeriCorps members I serve with everyday.

How has AmeriCorps changed your life? Who or what in during your term of service has constantly inspired you to grow and learn everyday?

3 comments:

e. e. riipi said...

Thanks for the inspirational post, Rachel. It's great that you had the opportunity to work with the Special Olympics. I am continually amazed by the different experiences that AmeriCorps has offered me. While currently at a local high school, I have had a chance to work with both at-risk students and members of the Student Council, having taken on the role of Student Council advisor as well. One of the most gratifying experiences has been witnessing all the kids work together toward common goals, such as the Canathon - where we donated over 2,000 pounds of food to the local area! Keep up the good work :-)

Anonymous said...

I think that it is great that you went and watched the Special Olympic athletes. I attended a Special Olympic event last year and found that everyone supported each other and cheered for each other. It was really nice to see people caring about each other and being so supportive of one another. It is an event that I would attend again.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!