Monday, March 16, 2009

Michigan's AmeriCorps Member Council - Posting #13

Greetings and welcome back to the Michigan’s AmeriCorps Blog! My name is Raymond Murry. However, everyone calls me Ray.

I am in my second term serving as a full-time Michigan’s AmeriCorps member representing The Michigan AmeriCorps Partnership.

The Michigan AmeriCorps Partnership is a collaborative program of the Ginsberg Center for Community Service and Learning at The University of Michigan and the many organizations it serves.

Since 1995, the MAP has served over 30 diverse nonprofit organizations, schools, and communities in the Detroit area. Stationed at multiple service sites, MAP members strive to address local human needs through direct service activities related to social, economic and community development, health education and promotion services for children and families, academic enhancement of youth in after-school or summer programs, and volunteer recruitment and retention.

Since its start, over 769 members have given over 647,408 hours of service and recruited over 72,504 volunteers who have served over 239, 923 hours!

My service site is Clark Park Recreation Center located in Southwest Detroit. Each day I am at the center getting things done. Whether I am removing graffiti off the brick buildings, writing a grant, raking leaves, passing out skates, coaching soccer or hockey, creating flyers, or being a mentor, I am constantly given the opportunity to get things done.

I have had the opportunity to meet so many great people, who are all in some way passionate about serving their communities, schools, and country. They all give of themselves each and every day across Michigan. From Detroit to Ann Arbor, to Grand Rapids to Charlevoix and everywhere in between, Michigan’s AmeriCorps represents.

Recently I was asked the question “Why do you do what you do?” I have a tendency to be a brain picker and I like people to be specific, so my response was, “What do you mean?” They repeated the question. I replied, “Why do I do what?” Then they said, “All the things you do around here?”

You see, I could give them a careless answer like, “I don’t know.” Or I could give them a simple answer like, “Because.” But why not use this opportunity to enlighten someone, and open their eyes to the world of service? So instead I responded…

“When a young boy asks me while pointing to a ‘Closed’ sign and says, ‘What does that say?’ That’s why I tutor. When I sit and listen to the young lady who has an alcoholic mother, and although she is well taken care of, it hurts her to see her mother poison herself. That’s why I mentor. Knowing I can keep a kid off the streets and safe while learning a skill, that’s why I coach sports. I clean, and rake leaves and shovel snow, and remove graffiti, and pick up trash, and laugh, and smile, run, and type flyers, and listen to my volunteers, and give workshops, and breathe, and plant trees, and sweep, and sing, and pass out skates, and monitor the youth, well… I do it because it needs to be done. I do it because I like it. I do it because it makes me feel good. I do it because I can. I do it because I know I am making a difference. I do it because I care. I do it because I want to. I do it because the world is such a great place. I do it because I want to make it an even greater place. I do it because I’m not afraid to. I do it because I love to challenge myself. I do it because it’s life.

And so I thank the person who asked me this question because, you helped me with my blog submission. But in closing I just want to ask you all, “Why do you do what you do?” I think it is great for us to think about our reasons for doing things in life. Sometimes we do things for the wrong reasons and we miss the true rewards of doing them. So, I challenge you to take some time to yourself and think about that question. If you are anything like me you’ll ask, “What do you mean?” I think it’s clear what I mean now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ray,

Great post!

As an AmeriCorps Program Director, and former AmeriCorps member, it's exciting to see you express your passion to serve others.

I've appreciated all the posts from our Member Council, and was really excited to see you ask the very important question: "Why do you do what you do?"

Your answers displayed your passion, and are evidence of your optimism that we can truly make our world a better place.

I hope that others take time for such consideration. In doing so, they'll surely discover our common life purpose: We're all on a mission to serve others.

To serve as an AmeriCorps member, as some do, without discovering this purpose, is a tragedy. It separates an individual from the real essentials of life.

So continue to be passionate, keep asking yourself serious questions, never take your eyes off of the impact you can have on others, and go and change your world!

Anonymous said...

Ray! I've got many memories of our chain link fencing last Russ Mawby-(Go Ernie and Weasel!) Can't wait to see ya again this year--and Keep up the amazing work! - Robyn Afrik, Program Director for Faith in Youth.

Anonymous said...

Ray,
I loved this post. We all need to make a choice to do what we do - own it and love it.
Thanks for the great day starter.
Kathy McCreedy
AmeriCorps Incusion Team Member

Anonymous said...

Great Post Ray! Really inspiring! Let's Get Things Done!
-Jeff VoVillia
Mentor Coordinator Midland/Isabella County

Anonymous said...

Ray,

That is so inspirational. It reminds all of us why we do what we do. We need more people like you out there serving their time for AmeriCorps. Never stop trying to change the world!

Anonymous said...

Ray,
I have to say thanks for a great post and reminding everyone the passion you have about AmeriCorps. I can say I do the things I do for the some of the little things like seeing the smile on a mentee's face, a parent telling the impact of being a teen mentor has made in their child, seeing a mentor excited to tell a story about their mentee but most importantly to help my community become an even better place. Thanks for your inspiration,
Christine Sisung

Anonymous said...

Ray,

Thanks for doing all you do! :) It's great for Program Directors to have a great team of Corps members made up of people like you! It's important for people to realize why they do what they do...so thanks for posing that question. Best of luck!