Friday, June 19, 2009

Michigan's AmeriCorps Member Council Posting #27

"There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well." -Walter Reuther

Greetings, this is Rachel, from Camp Fire USA. This is my third and most likely final blog posting here, and it’s caused me to ruminate upon my time of service. As my term draws quickly to a close, it has been amazing to think about how incredibly fast the last 24 months of my life have gone. I started my first term of service fresh out of college, unsure of what I would have to offer a place of employment, and with aspirations to do something more than just punching the clock.

The option to serve in AmeriCorps came unexpectedly, as a way for me finally express my desires for social justice into concrete actions. During the course of that year I got the chance to make an impact on the lives of the 45 children located at the after-school site where I was serving, and an even greater impression on the 15 first and second graders that I led through daily activities. To be honest though, I think I might have learned more from them, than they from me. Their constant honesty and daily strength and courage in the light of their less than perfect lives were a daily reminder of how blessed I am. I've learned greater patience, and understanding as I interacted with the families and schools in the community. I gave them my time and effort, and in return was given rewarding relationships.

As I entered my second term, AmeriCorps continued to offer me opportunities to learn more about who I am and what my strengths and capabilities are. As a naturally shy person, I've been presented with situations that have taught me to trust in my leadership skills, and to become comfortable in my own skin. The Michigan’s AmeriCorps Member Council gave me a chance to learn more about capacity building and a taste of non-profit management. This in turn has gradually led me on a path to continue on in the non-profit world, to pick a career path that will continue to make tangible differences in my community.

Like many other AmeriCorps members that are getting ready to graduate from their term, and attempt to find employment in a troubled economy, I worry about what my next step will be. Jobs are unfortunately scarce, but I know I will leave my two years of AmeriCorps a stronger, more capable person, with skills and strengths that will be unique and useful. My hope for you all is that you also find (or have found) your niche in the world to make a difference. May you all continue to serve your fellow man, and get things done for America.

1 comment:

Christine Sisung said...

I have to agree about maybe learning more from the people we served than they learned from us. I know during my two years of service I have learned so much from the mentees and mentors I serve. Thanks for taking the time to reflect on your service and its guidance to you next steps.