Monday, September 21, 2009

Michigan’s AmeriCorps Member Council – Guest Blogger Ben Gulker

Ben Gulker2 Hello everyone, this is Ben Gulker and I’m happy to be this week’s guest blogger. It has been my privilege to spend the last 10 months serving as an AmeriCorps*VISTA member with Mentor Michigan at the Michigan Community Service Commission. At Mentor Michigan, we strive to support and expand mentoring around the state, because we believe mentoring relationships can unleash the potential of our state’s youth.

Earlier this month, Christine reflected on The Road Not Taken, and observed that Robert Frost’s classic poem describes her two years of service perfectly. The same could be said for me. I, too, am in reflective mode as my term of service reaches its final months, and I’ve given a lot of thought to the road I chose to take, how that choice has affected me, and the implications of that choice for the future.

When I chose to join AmeriCorps as a VISTA member, I knew very little about National Service, and frankly, I was a bit unsure what to expect even after joining – but it didn’t take long for AmeriCorps to make a believer out of me. Service has allowed me to give something back to the people and communities that have invested in me. Service has allowed me to contribute to solutions for our state’s challenges. Service has connected me to a wonderful network of people and programs throughout the state who are striving to do the same.

The road we have all chosen to travel is not without its challenges, to be sure, and at times, the alternatives may appear more attractive. But I, for one, am glad to have walked this road – because it is my firm conviction the challenges we face are greatly outweighed by the contributions service allows and empowers us to make.

As my term of services nears its end, there are many unknowns – but there is one thing I know for certain: my journey on this road is not over. My term will end in December, but my service will not. The journey that allows and empowers me to serve others is the journey I choose to take for a lifetime, and as Frost says so eloquently, that has made all the difference.

No comments: