Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cross-Stream: Invaluable to National Service

Matt Reaume Welcome back! My name is Matt Reaume and I am currently serving as an AmeriCorps*VISTA with the Michigan Community Service Commission (MCSC). This year, my service will primarily focus on expanding cross-stream collaboration between national service programs throughout the state of Michigan.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the jargon, “cross-stream” is simply a terms that refers to the different ways in which national service programs in Michigan can work together to pool information and resources to more effectively carry out their program’s mission.

As the new Cross-Stream*VISTA, I will work closely with an advisory team comprised of representatives from the MCSC, Corporation for National and Community Service, Michigan Office of Services to the Aging, and all Michigan national service programs including Senior Corps, Learn & Serve America, and AmeriCorps* State, National Direct, and National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC) programs.

This cross-stream initiative is the result of a general statewide trend where community service organizations have become strained in the face of steadily increasing needs for service coupled with a consistent decline in funding and resources. These general trends have forced national service programs in Michigan to come together through collaboration and partnership opportunities to make the most effective use of time and money.

The position will challenge me. It will be difficult at times to see the results of my efforts. Often times in my years of working in the trades before beginning my service, I became used to seeing a “finished product” once my labors were complete. This gave me the luxury of standing back and admiring/critiquing my work.

While the cross-stream initiative may not provide tangible results instantly, I will be able to derive a world of satisfaction out of knowing that the infrastructure I am currently working to leave behind will continue to make cross-stream collaboration a sustainable trend in Michigan.

How could you collaborate – or form a “cross-stream” relationship – at your service site?

1 comment:

Christopher Reaume said...

It seems the fruits of most civic lobor's are never imediatly seen but are far reaching and touch the lives of people you will never meet but will always remember your efforts.