Friday, March 12, 2010

Every 23 Minutes

Every 23 minutes, somewhere in the world, a Habitat house is completed.

When I first heard my Program Director say that fact during orientation I was in awe. Every 23 minutes, somewhere in the world a Habitat house is completed – now that’s a lot of houses. I knew by becoming an AmeriCorps member I would be a part of something big, a powerful movement of people getting things done, but I had no idea just how big and how great the impact would be.

lb My name is Lisa Beedon and I’m serving my second term with Blue Water Habitat for Humanity in Port Huron as their Volunteer Recruiter. Michigan’s Habitat has 77 affiliates serving every county in the state. In 2009, the affiliates built or rehabbed 235 homes in partnership with people in need.  Currently, 3,225 Michigan families live in a Habitat for Humanity homes. 

When I first began with Habitat in January 2009 I was nervous… The only time I’d ever swung a hammer was to hang pictures up. I was by no means someone who saw themselves working on a construction site. But as time went on and we grew closer to staring our building season, the LB with dirt pile excitement was palpable. I couldn’t wait to get out there and see what I could learn and get to know the homeowners and volunteers.

The very first project I worked on began March 31, 2009. We were going to build a garage. Despite the excitement, I was nervous. Soon after getting everyone signed in and once our morning huddle ended the homeowner, Natoya, came over to thank me for being there. She went on to tell me about her family and how much they are looking forward to owning their own home.

LB with volunteer Around lunch time, she came back over to me and asked if I had attended a certain elementary school and had a certain teacher. Puzzled, I answered that I had. After a few minutes we realized we had been in the same fifth grade class almost 20 years ago. It was in that moment I knew I was in the right place at the right time.

Background on Habitat & Available Resources
Habitat was created in 1976 in Americus, Georgia, by the late Millard Fuller and his wife Linda.

Many people think it was President Carter who started Habitat for Humanity but it was in fact Millard and Linda Fuller. President Carter and his wife Rosalynn (whose home is eight miles from Americus, in Plains, Georgia) have been longtime Habitat supporters and volunteers who help bring national attention to the organization's house-building work. Each year, they lead the Jimmy Carter Work Project to help build houses and raise awareness of the need for affordable housing.

ReStores are retail outlets where Habitat for Humanity affiliates sell quality used and new home improvement products at 50 to 90 percent off retail.

ReStores are open to the public; anyone can buy items at discounted prices. Materials sold at ReStores are donated by individuals, construction companies, contractors, and building supply stores. Proceeds help fund local Habitat for Humanity homes.

Michigan is home to more than 45 Habitat for Humanity ReStores. Each ReStore sets its own hours of operations. Inventory changes frequently since new items are received weekly, sometimes daily.

ReStores save money and help the community and the environment. Shoppers can purchase new, or gently used, home improvement supplies at a fraction of their original cost.  ReStore customers include homeowners, college students, landlords and builders. Profits allow Habitat for Humanity to build more homes. Tons of building materials are diverted from landfills and put to reuse

Starting this year, Michigan affiliates have stepped up and are building all homes using green and sustainable building techniques.  Every home built will meet Energy Star energy efficiency ratings or above. It is an exciting time to be a part of Habitat.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

nice work, Lisa!
Awesome article- and thank you for the building supplies. :) We're going to West Virginia in a week, and they will all come in handy!

Karlee said...

Habitat is such a great organization, Lisa, and it's awesome that your service can have such a huge impact! It's great to hear about what you're doing...keep up the hard work!