Friday, August 6, 2010

Serving as the Inclusion AmeriCorps*VISTA

Shana Hello! My name is Shana Holet and it is a privilege to be able to share a little bit about me and my interactions with this year’s Michigan’s AmeriCorps Member Council. I am the Inclusion AmeriCorps*VISTA serving at the Michigan Community Service Commission (MCSC). My role as the Inclusion VISTA is to provide training, knowledge, and resources on disability and inclusion to Michigan’s AmeriCorps, Learn and Serve, and Senior Corps program staff and members.

I chose to become involved in national service because I have a passion for creating community environments where all individuals are valued for who they are and differences are embraced. At the beginning of my service I had no idea I would become part of a larger movement intertwined with so many unique individuals with varying characteristics.

Over the last 10 months, I have been able to support and assist programs with creating a welcoming environment that truly values each individual – including those with disabilities. One of the resources I have created to help programs do this is a bi-monthly newsletter entitled IN Touch. IN Touch provides useful information and resources; like how to make a service environment welcoming so individuals with disabilities feel comfortable disclosing, the importance of universal design, and recruiting individuals with disabilities.

In May, I had the opportunity to present information to the Member Council about how to do effective outreach to people with disabilities. One of the Member Council requirements is to complete two outreach presentations, one of which must be to the disability community. I was able to provide a list of disability organizations (which is also available on the MCSC website at www.michigan.gov/mcsc) and other helpful tips about how to present to groups and why it is important to have handouts in alternative formats.

The Council members clearly recognize the importance of connecting with the organizations that serve individuals with disabilities. They have also come up with some innovative ways to bring people with disabilities and Michigan’s AmeriCorps programs together in the coming year. The hope is that Council members will make use of the available MCSC inclusion mini-grants to coordinate inclusive service projects and “service shadow” opportunities to bring more people with disabilities into service. This is why I chose to serve!

All too often individuals with disabilities are excluded or discouraged from contributing in meaningful ways; but with programs like AmeriCorps, the opportunity to serve and make a difference can become a reality! It is this type of innovative thinking that will open new doors for people with disabilities. AmeriCorps and national service can become the first step to larger service opportunities or even employment for individuals who may have never considered that they, too, can make a difference. Service has brought me to a community of inclusion and I have brought knowledge, skills, and resources to build upon and sustain such inclusion efforts. I look forward to what lies ahead and continuing to make a difference! What are some of the accomplishments you’re most proud of in your year of service?

No comments: