Monday, August 24, 2009

Michigan’s AmeriCorps Member Council – Posting #35

Matthew Reaume 2 Hello and welcome back to the Michigan's AmeriCorps Member Council Blog. This is Matthew Reaume again with Huron Pines AmeriCorps and I am writing to you for my final blog post of the 2008-2009 service year. I am currently wrapping up my duties and responsibilities at the Michigan Association of Conservation Districts in Lansing before I begin to look ahead to my next year of service as Cross Stream VISTA for the Michigan Community Service Commission (MCSC).

In looking back at my first year of service, I find I have come away from this experience having learned many valuable lessons about National Service in the nonprofit sector. Among these lessons, perhaps the most valuable to me in preparing for my next position has been the crucial understanding that with a continued decline in resources and an increasing need for services, organizations must be willing to cooperate and partner with each other to pool resources and technical expertise if our missions and goals are to be fully realized.

After completing a lengthy project to determine the training needs of Conservation District Directors throughout northeast Michigan, it has become abundantly clear that strong and healthy partnerships remain a key ingredient to sustaining District efforts at providing sound conservation management services at the local level. It is my intention as the future MCSC Cross Stream VISTA to take this idea and expand upon it to deliver key capacity building techniques to sustain and grow Michigan’s National Service efforts.

While I will surely miss being part of the work currently being done as part of Michigan's environmental conservation efforts, I am excited and pleased to be part of the growing movement to expand the impact of the National Service movement in Michigan. I look forward to communicating all of the new developments in this effort in the coming year and wish all of my colleagues and peers the best of luck in their future endeavors. Thank you ALL for giving me the opportunity to serve my community, state, and country – it has truly been a unique pleasure I will never forget.

2 comments:

rvc said...

Best co-emcee, ever. good luck next year, Matt!

Colette said...

Matt, good luck in all that you do to help change our world!