Monday, August 31, 2009

Michigan’s AmeriCorps Member Council – Posting #36

106_5439 Hello, Colette again with readetroit. This is my third and final blog post as a Michigan's AmeriCorps Member Council Representative. As I near the end of my service, I’ve begun to reflect heavily upon my year of service. I know I have made a difference in my community, state, and the world. Whether I was tutoring children at the former Heilmann Park Elementary School (now Fisher Magnet Academy Lower), or digging and planting trees at Memorial Park in Flint, or packing food boxes for deserving families at Capuchin in Detroit, it was all done for the greater good of all mankind.

I’ve always been community oriented and involved in activities and issues that are important to me. So when I was placed at a school to assist with tutoring it made perfect sense! I served more than 30 children in a day and each and every one of them brought a unique perspective to our tutoring sessions. They taught me how to laugh at myself and helped me be more patient and understanding. I’m sure they learned a lot from me, but I learned so much more from them in the end. I’ve gained some rewarding relationships, especially with the parents in the community and for that I will be forever thankful.

AmeriCorps has been an amazing and life-changing experience I will never forget. I have enjoyed being a part of the Michigan’s AmeriCorps Member Council, 023[1]which has helped me to develop my leadership and public speaking skills. I have gained a greater understanding of team building capacity and that I have to do what is best for the team because we all want to reach the same common goal. I’ve gained a greater understanding of the non-profit sector and I am truly appreciative of the opportunity I have been given to serve my community. I wish everyone much success in their future endeavors. Let us remember to continue to get things done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Colette,
It was great being in Member Council with you! In the short time we did meet, I could tell what a kind spirit you have and it was a pleasure to get to know you. I'm sure your spirit has changed the lives of all you served! You are awesome!! Just wanted to let you know. ^_^
<3 rosie